Piedmont Community College offers the course of notary instruction required for commissioning as a notary in North Carolina. This course educates notaries about legal, ethical and procedural requirements of notarial acts.
Some of the other requirements for commissioning as a notary include:
- Be at least 18 years of age or legally emancipated as defined in Article 35 of Chapter 7B of the General Statutes.
- Reside or have a regular place of work or business in this State
- Reside legally in the United States.
- Speak, read, and write the English language.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Pass the course of instruction described in Chapter 10B, unless the person is a licensed member of the North Carolina State Bar.
- Purchase and keep as a reference the most recent manual approved by the Secretary that describes the duties and authority of notaries public.
For a complete list of requirements and the answers to many questions about being a notary, please visit the NC Secretary of State’s website.
Tracey Brandon at (336) 599-0032 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org